Ok, so we’ve seen it coming for a while, but finally JJ’s pulled off a win at the Rio Pro in Brazil. It’s his first WCT victory and by far not the last by the look of things to come. This year’s wide open, with Kelly sitting in 8th now having missed the last comp because of a heel injury. Joel Parkinson’s currently sitting at number one. I reckon if he just continues to chip away with good results he might just walk away with it, but the new school surfers are all snapping at his heels.
South African surfers did a fair job with Jordy Smith making it to the fifth round (losing against Joel) and Travis Logie making round 3 (losing to De Souza). It was a little bit disappointing I guess. Really hope Jordy and Travis hit it up big in the next events, especially since Travis does well on the bigger waves.
Here’s John John’s road to victory at the Rio Pro:
CURRENT ASP WCT TOP 10 (After Billabong Rio Pro):
1. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 19700 pts
2. Mick Fanning (AUS) 18250 pts
3. Josh Kerr (AUS) 18200 pts
4. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 17200 pts
5. Taj Burrow (AUS) 15750 pts
6. John John Florence (HAW) 15750 pts
7. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 15700 pts
8. Kelly Slater (USA) 13700 pts
9. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 12250 pts
10. Owen Wright (AUS) 12150 pts